Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Swaddling

Swaddling is something that I have been very passionate about even before I had Juliet. I had learned about it in several child development classes and was always very excited to try it out on my babies. Sure enough, a friend told me about the Miracle Blanket and I used it every day for about 9 months with Juliet. She slept great and it helped her calm down if she was fussy. I mean really, if you have a fussy baby just youtube the happiest baby on the block and you'll know what I'm talking about.
So this last week Juliet had a rough time with double ear infections, 2 or more teeth coming in, and being allergic to her medication. I had been cuddling her all week and letting her sleep with us, and I knew it was going to mess up everything she knew about falling asleep on her own. One of the days it was just impossible to get her to take a nap. I knew she was exhausted, but she wouldn't let me put her down or snuggle her so it was impossible to know what she wanted. Since I was equally exhausted, I was getting frustrated pretty fast. Finally I told Tim that I was going to swaddle her. He said, do you think that'll work since she's so old now? I said, watch me! We got my HSM blanket, wrapped her up and literally 30 seconds after I started shushing and holding her tight, her eyes were shut! I felt so awesome! I was even able to put her down without her waking up and she slept a good 2 hours!
Since I am such a fan of swaddling and I know some people thought I was putting my child into a straight jacket with that Miracle Blanket, I thought I'd share my most recent awesome swaddling moment with you all to show you that it still works :)

4 comments:

  1. Have you heard of the woombie? Funny name, but I just saw it on someone's blog. Another fun way to get your swaddle on, basically:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking of getting one for Ginah...do you think she's too old? (I realize that Juliet is older and all, but still...) Also, she's a thumb sucker, so how would that work?

    And with the allergic reaction thingie, is it the ear meds she's allergic to? Andrew is allergic to penicillin, so I switched over to hylands ear infection drops and haven't looked back. Seriously, they are miracle drops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, we usually don't swaddle her anymore and i still don't at night, but if you think she needs it then i would get it! she might be too strong for it though, which is why we broke juliet of the habit. but we did use it for 9ish months so it still might be worth it (especially if you might have another baby because it's kinda pricey-25 dollars or so). but seriously, i love it! and juliet used a pacifier so i'm not sure how it would be with a thumb sucker.

    yeah it was the penicillin. tim is allergic to it too so they just switched her. do you not have to take them to the dr then for an ear infection?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might just wait on the swaddling blanket for the next one...But it's good to hear about it!

    The problem with the meds that they give those who are allergic, is that they're not as strong, and they stop working after awhile. So when there is a serious (possibly life threatening problem) that they would need to use the meds for, their bodies won't react to it. With Hylands, it's all natural homeopathic "meds" that actually work with your body to fix whats wrong, instead of masking the problem until it can go away. I absolutely love Hylands! I don't think there's a medicine out there by them that we've tried and not had great, instant, success with. Seriously, in seconds ear pain will be gone and they will be sleeping. It's amazing! (And no, no doctors. :) )

    ReplyDelete