Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Juliet Advice Needed

You know how some kids get so mad that they'll hold their breath until they pass out? Well, mine likes to gag herself until she throws up. How do you stop something like that??? She hasn't been sleeping very well at night ever since she's been sick, and at nap times she has gotten so mad about taking a nap that she'll really throw up (even though I know she's tired!) so I won't want to let her cry it out because I don't want to have to clean it up. She is always sticking her hand in her mouth and doing it, even during the day, and today I finally just kept saying no and holding her arms down so she couldn't do it. She didn't like that at all but I'm hoping that I'll get my point across. What do you do to get a 14 month old to stop doing stuff like that?

But when it comes to sleeping, I'm not sure why she isn't sleeping that great but all of a sudden when she wakes up, she wants to be up for about an hour. She doesn't want to be held, she wants to play! I don't want her to get into that sort of habit at 3 in the morning so I've been wrapping her in a blanket and shushing her till she calms down and I'll close my eyes and rock her while hers are WIDE open. I'm praying that this will be a short stage but since I don't want her to make herself throw up, I'm pretty much stuck holding her until she gets tired again. Ideas???

PS. I've been blogging a lot lately! Go me! Hopefully I can keep this up!

6 comments:

  1. We used to put non-dangerous books and other such toys in the crib for that reason. Sometimes, they just want to play at odd hours. So, we let them while we continued to sleep in our bed. Just make sure she can't make a pile out of the toys or she'll use it to climb out. Yep, that was our Tom...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of that throwing up thing before...she is so cute though, isn't she? I'll hold her :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, when Joshua was little my pediatrician warned me that kids will gag themselves for attention and if he does it to just ignore it! Mine never really did it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky Hazel (Davies) has this problem with her son. They have just gotten to the point where they try not to make a big deal about it. He wants to throw a tantrum and throw up? Great, they just hold him over the sink while he does it, then set him back and the floor and ignore the bad behavior. If it were me, I'd get some of the Hyland Chamomile tablets (I told you I was a fan!!) and give her a couple to try and get her to calm down. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well today we just let her throw up in bed and cry herself to sleep in her puke during nap time. so hopefully after doing that a couple of times she'll stop maybe? it's really hard for me to clean up her puke since i'm pregnant and SUPER sensitive to the smell. it makes me want to throw up too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ug, I totally understand! I even have a hard time when I'm not pregnant! When one of the boys starts, Trevor and I both jump up, but only Trevor runs for the kid. I go in the opposite direction!

    ReplyDelete