Wednesday, June 29, 2011

So my sweet little baby has decided that she can climb onto about every piece of furniture we own. Usually I would try to say, "Sit on your bottom please," or something like that but she just laughs and sits and then does it again. Yesterday and today I just tried watching her to see what she would do and if she could get herself down and sure enough, she can! My question is, should I still be worried about her climbing and falling and should I try to get her to stop, or should I just not worry about it since I can't sit in every seat in the house trying to prevent her from climbing on them? She seems to only climb when we are watching, which is nice and it gives me less of a headache not to try and discipline her all day. Am I giving her too much freedom?

4 comments:

  1. Tough one...You want her to be safe, yet at the same time you have other things you need to do all day, other than follow her around 24/7. There's always the possibility of her getting hurt, but I'd say that as long as she's only doing it while you're watching-go with it. Give her "climbing time" each day (a time when you can sit on the floor right in front of a chair) and encourage the heck out of it. Then, after 30 minutes, put the chair away and move on with your day. I haven't had any climbers yet, but I think that's how I would handle it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once it starts, it doesn't end. You might as well just make sure she's safe and has a soft place to fall. I had to take all the couch cushions off and put them on the floor for Tom...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you should let her fall once and she'll learn not to do it again. haha... maybe i'll be a bad mom... Or maybe since she only does it when you're watching, its for attention so you should just let her do it and maybe she will stop... not that I would know anything about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! We have a climber as well. Matilda started climbing on everything at this age. We tried the time out idea. She was very young so I wasn't sure she would get it. I set up a play pen in my front room and every time she climbed up on something I told her no and then into the play pen she went for a minute. It was a great idea, but didn't work. I was also exhausted after two days. So, it was easier to train ourselves to push chairs in and make sure everything was off the table so she didn't want to climb up there. She still climbs and now has progressed to pushing the chairs around the kitchen to climb on them to get what she wants.

    ReplyDelete